Tuesday, December 11, 2012

New Orleans

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I have been at the Naval Air Station in Belle Chasse, Louisiana since last Thursday.  It is located about 15 miles south of New Orleans.  I just did necessary housekeeping and laundry on Friday and relaxed.  Saturday I decided to drive south on Hwy 23 as far as it went into the Gulf of Mexico and see what was there.  Well, I drove 80 miles and this is what I saw at the end of that highway.




Not much down this way except a bunch of oil and gas refineries, oil rig support companies, the US Coast Guard and alligators.  I did not see any alligators to take a picture of.  I did see some pretty areas like these.  Notice the pelican. Right after I took the picture he dove into the water for lunch.



On the drive down and back I took a few pictures of the areas but there was not much to see.  The past hurricanes had pretty much eliminated most permanent structures and they were replaced with mobile homes, manufactured homes and travel trailers.  Pretty depressing.  I decided to take a few pictures of a pretty church and a cemetery, which shows how the deceased must be buried here since the whole area is actually below sea level.



This old fort was interesting but it was closed off to the public so I could not see much except the exterior.  It was built right off the Mississippi River, as you can see from the third picture.  One big river!


Fort Jackson

Mississippi River

Today is Tuesday, December 11th.  We had a big wind and rainstorm come through the area yesterday and the temperature dropped drastically.  It was in the mid to upper 70's prior to the storm and today it is in the low 50's.  I am cold!

Not much to do today so Dexter and I got out of the trailer to get some exercise.  I have been taking a mile walk around the RV park daily and Sunday I rode my bike for three miles so today I decided to walk two miles.  I know how far I walk because I have an app on my i-phone that tracks me via GPS.  Kinda neat.

Anyway, I was doing just fine until about a half  mile from returning to the trailer my right calf muscle started seizing up on me.  I stretched and whined and slowed way down and finally got home but that muscle is giving me a hard time now.  Iced it down with Icy Hot....good stuff and gave some relief but it is sure sore.  The big problem with this little glitch is that I was planning on going to the French Quarter tomorrow since it is supposed to be in the 60's and sunny.  I will make that decision in the morning.  If I can't do it this time due to my leg injury, I plan to leave here on Thursday or Friday and head over to the Pensacola area.  The Navy Blue Angels are based at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola and put on a show as they practice every Tuesday and Wednesday.  I would really enjoy seeing that.  The Navy Museum is also located there so lots to do and see if I can stay for a couple of weeks, which puts me past Christmas Day when I move on over to Panama Beach for New Year's.  I fear I may run into a problem finding a spot to camp due to the time of the year I am going into a resort area.

I am going to miss this RV park and base.  Only five of us here and there must be over 100  spaces and it is a really nice park and base.  I plan to come back here in February and stay for the Mardi Gras.

Nice sunsets down here.

The view from my chair outside the door to my trailer.  That is the laundry and restrooms  building and a good place to have close in case of a tornado.

My home sweet home for now.  No complaints!


No comments:

Post a Comment